If you have landed up here searching for “How to stop Google Photos backup” or any other similar terms. I can tell you that you have arrived at the right place.
In this article, we will have a look at not only how to stop google photos from backing up your photos and videos, but we will also have a look at how to continue the back up without taking up your free quota of 15 GB space provided by Google.
There can be many reasons why you want to stop Google Photos back up, some of them are listed below:
- Privacy – You just don’t want your photos and videos on Google servers.
- Running out of space on your Google Account – As mentioned above, Google provides 15 GB of free storage with every Google account. This 15 GB space includes the storage from all your Google products like Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos, etc.
- Running out of your mobile data balance – Your mobile data balance may be finishing too fast because of the backup by Google Photos.
- Selective back up of folders – You don’t want to back up every folder in your phone’s gallery.
Now, if your reason falls under any of the points listed above, one good thing is in all the cases you don’t need to stop the Google Photos backup. Let’s have a look at how you can disable the backup and what are the other available options.
If privacy is your concern, then the only option you have is disabling the backup of your photos and videos by Google Photos.
Step By Step Procedure To Disable Google Photos Back Up On Your Phone
- Open the Google Photos app on your mobile phone.
- Once the app is open, the home page will appear with all your photos and videos on Google Photos servers.
- Now, click on three horizontal lines on the top left corner of your mobile screen.
- A new menu will open, click on Settings.
- On the new screen, click on the Backup & Sync option.
- Now, deselect the Backup & Sync option. Once done, the automatic backup will stop. Your photos and videos will not upload on Google Photos servers without your permission. Hence maintaining your privacy.
This is the method if you want to completely stop the backup of your photos and videos to the Google Photos server.
If privacy is not your concern and you want your photos backed up but just want to stop the backup procedure because of the second reason mentioned above, i.e you are running out of space on your google account, follow the steps below
Step By Step Procedure To Continue Backing Up Photos Without Using Space of Google Account
- Open Google Photos app and go to Settings option and select the Backup & Sync option as shown in the above steps, keep the Backup & Sync option selected, then click on Backup mode option.
- Now, select the High Quality or Express option. I recommend the High Quality option. The differences between the two are clear from the description as shown below:
By using the above method, your photos will be backed up without occupying any space of your Google Account.
Now, if you are worried about your mobile data being eaten up by the Google Photos Backup. Follow the below steps to ensure that no data is used for the backup.
Step By Step Procedure To Stop The Backup On Mobile Data
- Open Google Photos app and go to Settings option and select the Backup & Sync option as shown in the above steps, keep the Backup & Sync option selected, then click on the Cell data usage option.
- Now, select No data.
Once done, your photos and videos will only be backed up when your phone is connected to Wi-Fi.
There is one more option in Google Photos, i.e., you can select the folders you want to backup. The Camera folder back up is by default. To back up the selected folders, follow the below steps.
Step By Step Procedure To Backup The Selected Folders
- Again, Open Google Photos app and go to Settings option and select the Backup & Sync option as shown in the above steps, keep the Backup & Sync option selected, then click on Back up device folders option.
- Now, select all the folders you want to have a backup of.
I hope this article answers all the queries you had regarding the Google Photos Backup option.
As you know that this website is a part of the Amazon affiliate program. To keep this website up and running we need funds which we earn through small commissions that we get from the amazon sales without any additional cost to you. Please support us. If you need to buy anything from amazon India, please buy from our link by clicking here or on any Amazon advertisement on our website.
Please feel free to comment on what you think about this article. Was it of any help to you? We will love to know your feedback.