In our last article, we reviewed the most affordable flagship phone from Xiaomi. While the review we were pretty amazed by the high-end specs Poco F1 offering to its users. In this article, we are bringing out a similar segment device again from one of the houses of Chinese manufacturers. It goes by the name Realme 2 Pro. Let’s check out how does it look on the papers.
Realme is a China-based smartphone manufacturer. Initially, it was a sub-brand of Oppo Electronics Corporation and called by the name ”OPPO Real”. Recently on July 2018, it is separated from Oppo and now working independently led by Sky Li. Realme focusses on manufacturing smartphones with strong performance, stylish design under an affordable price.
Realme is not a known name among smartphone users across the globe. However, by introducing Realme 2 Pro the company has put a strong statement on the mid-range segment device. The smartphone has been an impressive upgrade from its last device Redmi 2. The smartphone market has already been amazed with the launch of Xiaomi Pocophone F1, a high-end device at a pretty decent price. Now with the launch of Realme 2 Pro, it might be beginning of a trend of high-end specification smartphone at a budget-friendly price.
Design and Display
Keeping in mind the price tag, Realme 2 Pro does a decent job with its design and display department. While holding the 6.3” smartphone in one hand might seem huge at times, but elegant at the same time. Also, it might be on the heavier side for few considering the weight of 174g while holding in one hand. However, the rounded edges with a decent thickness of 8.5nm will let the user to have a comfortable and safe grip.
The fascinating thing about this beauty is the dewdrop notch. Without any argument, if the notch is the latest thing, then it can’t be implemented in a better way what Realme 2 pro did. Other, noticeable thing about the design and display are-
- Use of various layers of polycarbonate (plastic) material on the back to give a premium glass touch to the body.
- Comes in three different color Ice Lake, Blue Ocean and the Black Sea.
- It comes with IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen with more than 90% of screen to body ratio.
- With the 1080 x 2340 and 409 PPI, it provides more than just viewable resolution.
- The display is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- Fingerprint is placed in its rightful position, i.e. on the rear of the phone. Might not be as good as smartphones like OnePlus 6 or Samsung Note 9, but definitely decently fast and accurate.
- The earpiece is placed at the top of the front camera. While the proximity and other sensors are smartly placed in the left side of it.
- The single speaker, the Micro USB slot and the 3.5mm headphone jack can be found at the bottom of the device.
- The Nano SIM tray with a dedicated microSD card slot can be found on the left side of the device.
Software and hardware Specification
What makes these affordable devices so exciting is their hardware and software specification. Earlier where we can only find high-end specs device under certain price section. Now with a device like Poco F1 and Realme 2 Pro things have changed drastically. With Realme 2 pro users gets to use a processor similar to what devices like Vivo V11, Nokia 7 Plus, and Xiaomi Mi A2 are offering. The latter devices are evidently much costlier than the Realme 2 Pro. Now let’s check out what you really get with the device on software and hardware department.
- A power efficient Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 chipset with powerful Octa-core Kyro 2.0 GHz CPU.
- Smooth gaming performance with the Adreno 512 GPU.
- Comes with 3 different variants of RAM and storage configuration- 4/6 GB with 64 GB ROM and 8 GB with 128 GB ROM.
- Other hardware specification includes- a Bluetooth 5, support USB-OTG along with an ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, a compass, and a gyroscope.
- Unfortunately, there is no FM radio or NFC feature included.
- Realme 2 Pro runs a Color OS 5.2 skin over Android 8.1 Oreo.
The Color OS 5.2 might not be as exciting as the stock android. However, there are few tweaks which will keep the whole user experience exciting. Some of them are, swiping on the side opens up a menu which gives shortcuts for the screenshot, camera, and other apps. The leftmost screen gives users the option of various customizable panels for features like weather, news, schedules, etc.
Camera and Battery
For a smartphone of any price range or any target customer, its camera and battery is certainly two most important parameter for its success. Realme 2 Pro might not amaze you in this department, however neither going to disappoint you. It comes with a dual pixel camera of 16+2 MP at the rear and single 16 MP camera sensor in the front.
No delay while capturing photos, quick focus and decent details snaps are some of the perks of the device. Pleasant portraits with the bokeh effect and the AI scene recognition will help you capture beautiful images.
- The primary camera packs in a 16 MP sensor with a big aperture of F/1.7.
- The depth sensing camera is of 2MP which is enough to produce decent portrait shots.
- For the selfie camera Realme 2 Pro has used a 16 MP sensor with an aperture of F/2.7.
- The LED flash produce ample amount of light for low light environment snaps.
- With Realme 2 Pro company introduce AI first time on their device.
- AI capability gives in features like AI scene recognition, AI beautification and AI album. Perfect for making both image capturing and viewing an elegant experience.
- 4K video recording capability at 30 fps.
Realme 2 Pro comes with a powerful battery of 3500 mAh which, when checked can easily last an entire day. Unfortunately, we are not getting the quick charge option. However, it’s not on the frustrated side when it comes to charging the device.
Powerful hardware and a decent software under a price range of just ₹ 13,990. This is what promised by Realme and the device certainly make up to the statement. Its maybe not a smartphone for a photographer, a gamer or for a businessman who rely heavily on their phone. Let me tell you they are not even the target customer for the company. Realme 2 Pro is a smartphone specially designed for students. It gives students the option of an affordable device with decent specs.
Realme 2 Pro even has the option of going up to 8 GB of Ram with 128 GB of storage option by paying a minimal amount of just ₹ 17,990. Isn’t that great? It means those who prefer to buy the device gets the option to carry a powerful entertainment as well as a learning gear just by paying ₹ 13,990.
To buy Realme 2 Pro directly from Amazon, click the link below:
Albeit, there are some area where the company could have done better. Like placing a USB Type C slot in place of Micro USB and using Android One over Color OS 5.2 as it would have been more stable.
Now let’s be reasonable here, it’s a smartphone with a Snapdragon 660 chipset and 8 GB Ram under the price of ₹ 20,000. Along with all that we get a decent display, face unlock option, a smartly design notch up of all that a solid user and gaming experience.
First it was Xiaomi Poco F1 now the Realme 2 pro, introduction of such caliber product at such price point is nothing but a gift for the smartphone users. Such move only made us rethink the way we evaluate that how much money would be good enough for a decent specs smartphone.