Lifeboat equipment that are required to be carried on board at all times are as follows:
- Except for free fall lifeboats, sufficient buoyant oars, so as to make headway in calm seas.
- Boat hooks = Two
- One buoyant bailer and two buckets.
- Survival manual = One
- Operational magnetic compass = One
- Sea Anchor = One
- Efficient painters = Two (Length should be twice the distance from the stowage position to waterline in lightest seagoing condition or 15 mtr whichever is greater.)
- Hatchets = Two
- Watertight receptacles containing 3 litres of water for each person the boat is permitted to accommodate.
- Rustproof dipper with lanyard = One
- Rustproof graduated drinking vessel = One
- Food ration totalling not less then 10,000 KJoule per person.
- Rocket parachute flares = Four
- Hand flares = Six
- Buoyant Smoke Signals = Two
- Waterproof electric torch, suitable for morse code with spare battery = One
- Daylight Signalling mirror = One
- Copy of life saving signals = One
- Whistle = One
- First Aid Kit = One
- Anti sea-sickness medicine = 6 doses for each person the boat is permitted to accommodate.
- Sea-sickness bag = 1 for each person the boat is permitted to accommodate.
- Jack Knife = One
- Tin Openers = Three
- Buoyant rescue quoits = Two
- If lifeboat is not self bailing then one manual bailer pump.
- Fishing tackle = One set
- Sufficient tools for minor adjustments.
- Portable fire extinguishing equipment.
- Search Light = One
- Efficient Radar reflector = One
- Thermal Protective Aids = 10 % of number of person the boat is permitted to accommodate or Two, whichever is greater.
To see the picture of each equipment, click on the name of the equipment.
All the lifeboat equipment should be secured by means of lashing or should be kept in storage lockers or secured by brackets or other similar mountings except two boat hooks.
The requirements are as per SOLAS convention.
The officer responsible for the upkeep of LSA/FFE has to take the inventory of lifeboat equipment once per month or as per the planned maintenance system.